Signs That Your AC May Be Harming Your Air Quality
Did you know that a cooling system that is damaged, outdated, or running inefficiently can negatively affect your air quality? This can lead to several, potentially harmful situations in your home. Because bad air quality can be so hazardous, it’s important that you know the potential causes and symptoms. Here are some AC problems that may affect air quality and how they can affect you:
AC Problems That May Affect Your Air Quality
- You have a dirty filter. Your filter is responsible for literally filtering out impurities in your airflow before its delivered and dispersed throughout your home via a central air system. Your air filter should be changed often, every few months is best. This is especially important during periods of extended use, like the summer months. When the filter becomes dirty and clogged with dust, hair, dander, pollen, or any other debris that may make their way in, your air quality can be compromised.
- Excess water. If your air conditioner is leaking any excess fluid or it has more condensation than usual, it may be harming your indoor air quality. Leftover liquids can leave you with mold or mildew growth. These spores can grow and spread at a rapid rate. If in or around your air system, they can easily be blown into your home.
- Duct problems. If your duct system is compromised in any way, it’s possible for debris to build up inside. Because your ducts deliver air directly through your vents, whatever may be built up inside will be delivered as well.
- Loud noises and strange odors. These are signs that your system may be broken or running inefficiently. In an effort to prevent the problem from worsening, you should have a professional fix the problem.
- Old or inefficient equipment. Any system that is old, outdated, or running inefficiently has the potential to damage the air quality in your home. If your air conditioning system is out of date, you should consider a replacement. Newer technologies are more efficient and will help to keep the air in your home safe and breathable for years to come.
You may not know immediately that your AC is harming your air quality. If you suspect that your cooling system may be affecting you, it’s important that you call a KB Complete Inc. professional immediately. Here are some signs to watch out for:
- Increase in respiratory illnesses
- Worsened asthma symptoms
- Increase in allergy symptoms
- Reduced lung function
Importance of Routine Maintenance
In order to keep your HVAC systems running safely and efficiently, routine maintenance is absolutely necessary. Not only will it save you from expensive repairs down the line, it will help to protect against dangerously low air quality. Symptoms may vary depending on the level of air pollutants present in your home, but you should never ignore the signs – no matter how small they may be.
At the first sign of an issue, call KB Complete Inc.