Are you thinking about installing a new water heater? Then maybe it’s time to replace your old traditional tank model with a tankless water heater. Here’s what you need to know about tankless water heaters — and five reasons it’s the right choice for your family!
How a Tankless Water Heater Works
A conventional water heater has a tank that stores hot water, which is sent to the tap when you turn it on. When the water supply runs low, the tank has to fill itself and heat the water before it can deliver hot water — until then, it can only send cold water to the faucet.
In contrast, a tankless water heater, often called an on-demand water heater, doesn’t have a storage tank at all. Instead, the water runs over a heating element when hot water is requested at a tap- like your sink or shower head. Because this system doesn’t rely on storing hot water, it can supply an endless amount of hot water as needed.
Reasons to Install a Tankless Water Heater
While there are still many people who prefer their conventional models, more and more homeowners are replacing their traditional tank water heaters with tankless models. What follows are five signs that a tankless water heater is just what you need:
- You’re tired of not having enough hot water. Some people like cold showers. However, they’re few and far between. Most of us prefer nice, piping hot water regardless of whether that’s when we get up in the morning or after we get home from work. If you’re always stuck with cold water because your household uses a lot of hot water, then an on-demand model is a good choice.
- You want a water heater that will last. While a conventional model lasts approximately 10-15 years, a tankless water heater can last up to 20 when properly maintained. So, while the initial investment might be a little higher, you’ll definitely get a good return.
- Your energy bills are high. Storing warm water costs energy, so a storage tank water heater costs more to run than a tankless model, which will bring your energy bills down considerably.
- You want to do the right thing for the planet. Because an on-demand model is more energy-efficient, it’s a more environmentally friendly option.
- You want to use the space for something else. A conventional water heater is a large appliance that takes up approximately the same space as a fridge. If you don’t have the space or if you want to use the space for something else, then an on-demand water heater is a better choice as it’s approximately the same size as a desktop computer. Tankless water heaters are also typically hung on the wall, so it frees up the space below them for other storage or appliances.
Consult With Your Local Plumber At KB Complete Today
If you’ve decided that a tankless water heater is what you need, then make sure to consult with your plumber before purchasing one. He or she can advise you about capacity, brand, model, and other factors that are important to making the right choice. And once your on-demand water heater is installed, you’ll be able to enjoy your investment, as well as hot water and low energy bills, for a long time to come!